Sunday 12 February 2012

#159 In the field: Sedona birds and wildlife con't . . .



The Raven, renowned in Native American tribal lore as a trickster and bird with a mischievous nature, is  common along the Oak Creek trail (see yesterdays Blog) and is one of my favorite subjects. The imposing, oily-black bird is larger than the crow, has a thicker bill and has a distinctive crocking call.  The dramatic corvid can be identified in flight by its wedge-shaped tail.

When I'm on the trail, photographing, observing and gathering studio reference, I usually find a quiet place to sit and keep my eyes and ears open:  I'm guaranteed to see something new and exciting.


What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt and ominous bird of yore 
 Meant in croaking 'Nevermore'.
-Edgar Allan Poe;  The Raven   


Ravenrock
18"H 



No comments:

Post a Comment