Friday 22 March 2013

#408 In the studio: Bird anatomy, con't . . .


Please start this bird anatomy series with post #403, March 10.

Much can be learned from buying a whole frying chicken from the supermarket and studying the feather 
tracts on the skin.  Note the little holes on the wing where the feathers emerge in a pattern, they are alike 
on most birds.  Length, shape, size, and number of feathers vary according to the bird's needs. 
Once you know the sets or feather groups, you can adapt them to any species.




Look at the supermarket chicken and notice the bird's elbow . . .
This is the thickest part of the wing.
Keep in mind - you are looking DOWN on the chicken.








2 comments:

  1. Sandy, I found your blog while looking for a simple explanatory zoology drawing of a bird's wing for a Wordpress post I wanted to do. I wondered if you would allow me to use one or two of your diagrams to go with my photographic picture of a juvenile Great Blue Heron wing to illustrate what I was showing. Since my first view of nesting birds and observing the growth of young wings, I have remained fascinated with those colors and structures..especially the large blue sheaths that Great Blue Heron primaries and secondaries grow from. They remind me of an indian headdress. I would love to display the drawings such that clicking on them would link here to your art blog and the reader/viewer could learn more as well as be exposed to what you do.

    Should you not wish your copyrighted material to be used that way, I understand completely!! And, in any case, I have enjoyed stumbling onto your blog and website to enjoy the beautiful work you do and your obvious love of wildlife. My e-mail is janthina50@hotmail.com if you'd rather me ask by e.

    I have not fully explored your sculpture to see if you have herons or egrets --- but will be looking at more of the sketches and sculpture too see everything.

    Thanks for considering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you may, please acknowledge copyright Sandy Scott and my blog, sandyscottblog.blogspot.com. I am interested in seeing your post and will post your link.

    ReplyDelete