Wednesday 16 April 2014

#522 In the field: Black-crowned night heron


I spent today photographing birds in the low-country
of coastal South Carolina at Brookgreen Gardens.  Brookgreen is not only home to America's largest
and most important collection of figurative sculpture,
but the museum's grounds and gardens boast an outstanding zoo, aviary, and  additional features
to entice and delight artists. 

I'm anxious to start a sculpture of a Black-crowned
night heron and while teaching a bird sculpture workshop during the day at Brookgreen,
I'm spending early mornings and evenings
at the enclosed aviary. . . experiencing,
studying, sketching, and photographing birds.

I'm gathering an enormous amount of reference and
am confident that I have sufficient material to successfully depict the species in the studio.  Typically,
I select a subject based upon memorable "in the field" experiences and my time spent with the Black-crowned night heron at Brookgreen has been rewarding.

www.brookgreen.org/‎



















To learn more about the subjects in this blog go to the links below.  

For a complete list of the blog index go to the Index Page and 
type the subject in the Search This Blog link on the right.


Blog, text, photos, drawings, and sculpture . . . © Sandy Scott and Trish



No comments:

Post a Comment