Wednesday 20 August 2014

#558 In the studio: "Big Four of the Rockies" . . . the Grizzly


This summer I completed a grouping of four small sculptures depicting the "Big Four"quadrupeds
of the Rocky Mountain and Yellowstone region.  The are:  Grizzly, Moose, Bison, and Elk.

The four sculptures are being cast at the foundry now and the suite will be introduced at the Wilcox Gallery
next month during the Western Visions show at the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson, Wyoming.
I will post photos of the "Big Four" miniatures cast in bronze in an upcoming blog.

Below, is the clay model of the Grizzly in progress.  By working outdoors in the summer on the covered deck of the studio, I'm able to keep the clay warmed to the perfect temperature to impart a spontaneous and fresh surface.



Below, is a photo of griz taken recently in Yellowstone.   As you can see by this telephoto image, I keep my distance!
I live in the Wind River Range of Wyoming approximately 100 miles from the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area
and Grizzly have become more common outside the park in the past few years.
I've abandoned places where I used to camp and hike due to Grizzly presence.




Go to the BLOG INDEX on the right for more information. 


Blog, text, photos, drawings, and sculpture . . . © Sandy Scott and Trish

No comments:

Post a Comment